The STARS21 (formerly EIRR21) program is pleased to offer a limited number of travel awards to support STARS21 scholars in attending academic meetings that will enhance their research training. The STARS21Travel Award will defray expenses related to travel to national or international conferences, at which the scholar presents his or her work. These awards will continue as long as STARS21 funds are available to support them.
- Applicants must be current scholar of the STARS21 program at the time of application, travel, and reimbursement of travel expenses.
- Applicants must fall into one of the three categories:
- Presenting data (oral or poster presentation) from a radiation science and cancer-related project on a first-author basis at a national or international conference/meeting,
- Collaborating in another laboratory to learn a new technique,
- Attending a workshop
- Scholars may receive this award only once a year.
- More than one scholar of a given supervisor may apply for a travel award. However, only one scholar per supervisor per conference may receive the award.
- Recipients of an STARS21Travel Award are allowed to hold a concurrent travel award for the same conference.
- Awardees will be expected to acknowledge the receipt of an STARS21 Travel Award in their presentation (e.g. STARS21 logo).
Amount of Award
The value of the travel award is $1000. Three awards will be offered per competition.
Two competition deadlines will be held annually and successful applications will be chosen by a selection committee prior to travel. Successful applicants may only hold one travel award per year. Unsuccessful applicants may reapply in subsequent competitions.
- June 1 deadline: For travel between July 1 and December 31 (inclusive)
- December 1 deadline: For travel between January 1 and June 30 (inclusive)
Travel awards are contingent on available funding and will be paid once travel is complete and the scholar has demonstrated that they have fulfilled the above conditions of the award. Payment will be made to the scholar in the form of a cheque.
To apply, scholars must submit the following:
- Completed Travel Award Application
- If attending a conference – copy of the abstract submitted to the conference
- Proof of confirmation to present (oral or poster) at the conference (if this is not available at the time of application, it must be provided as soon as it is issued
- If collaborating in another laboratory or attending a workshop –
- Explain why this is important for your research
- How will this enhance your research?
- Justify why this should be funded by STARS21
Upon completion of travel, scholars must submit the following:
- Proof of attendance for either:
- Presentation at the conference (e.g. conference program, hotel receipt, boarding pass)
- Collaboration in another laboratory
- Copy of the relevant abstract (if applicable)
- Within three weeks upon return, submit a brief conference report that will be included into the STARS21 website
For more information or to submit an application and supporting documents please contact Emily Milne.